Project: Sawyer Library Renovation and Addition
Location: Williamstown, MA
Architect: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
Located in the heart of the Williams College campus, this adaptive reuse of a four-story, 1923 Georgian Revival building involves a 40,000 sq. ft. renovation and 130,00 sq. ft. addition to house the new Williams College Library.
- Demolition of two additions dating back to the 1950’s and 60’s allows for the new concrete-framed expansion construction in their place.
- Renovations to the original building involve restoration of decorative plasterwork and wood paneling, a fire protection system, new mechanical, and power and data systems.
- With the goal of LEED Gold certification, the new four-story addition includes reading/study spaces, a forum/café, media study areas, instructional rooms, staff offices and work areas.