- Worked within an occupied building
- Integrated new systems within an historic structure
- Kept the building’s systems operational during the upgrade
The Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum is America’s first presidential library and the only one used by a sitting president. The building was conceived and built under President Roosevelt’s direction and opened to the public in 1941. With the exception of two wings added in 1972 in honor of Mrs. Roosevelt, this was the first renovation to the building since it was completed.
This two-phased renovation carefully preserved the building’s historic appearance, while bringing its archives and museum up to the National Archives’ standards for the long-term preservation of historic collections. The building houses 35,000 museum objects and 20 million pages of documents.
The scope of work included new drainage, plumbing and roofing systems as well as new electrical, security and fire protection systems. The building was made fully ADA compliant. Work was managed around the occupied building, ensuring that visitors were still able to access the collections and tour the site.