The Parish of All Saints

Project: Restoration & Renovation of The Parish Of All Saints
Location: Dorchester, MA
Architect: Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects

The two-phased restoration and renovation of the 132-year-old Parish of All Saints—originally built by notable church architect Ralph Adams Cram in 1893 and listed on the National Registry of Historic Places—is returned to its former glory, along with renewed building systems and improved accessibility. The project’s first phase included restoration of the slate and copper roof and the Quincy granite exterior, and the replacement of deteriorated window tracery with hand-carved mahogany. The second phase focused on a two-story addition to the Parish House to accommodate an elevator and the central stair’s reconfiguration for improved accessibility. In the interior, details were returned to their original design by removing the work of earlier, less historically accurate renovations, including stripping the redstone arches along the nave and Lady Chapel of paint to reveal the beauty of the stone.

  • Pre-construction strategy enabled the first phase of work to begin while the design for the second phase was still in progress; work was scheduled to mitigate impact on the daily life of the parish
  • Complete exterior masonry restoration, including the application of 35-tons of historically matched mortar to repair 46,000 feet of masonry joints
  • Fully restored stained-glass windows, renewed interior woodwork and window tracery, restored interior stone work and restoration of the original light fixtures designed by original architect Ralph Adam Cram
  • Seamless replacement and repair of sandstone trim on roof parapet, entry porch, door and window lintels