- Extensive M/E/P upgrades to an existing historic structure
- Working within an occupied building
- Achieving LEED Silver certification while meeting a tight budget
Storrs Hall, a historic 1904 building and one of the first masonry structures on the Storrs campus, houses the University’s School of Nursing. The purpose of this project was to satisfy the facility requirements of the School of Nursing by constructing a one-story addition of 15,800 sq. ft. and partially renovating the existing building.
The addition houses a new entrance to the school, clinical simulation laboratories, two classrooms (including a tiered case study classroom) and an exhibit of items from the school’s museum of nursing history. The building is designed to achieve LEED Silver certification and includes a vegetated roof and patio area. Renovations include the installation of sprinklers, replacement of floor tile and selective adaptation of existing spaces to accommodate program changes. The building remained partially occupied during construction.