- Need for temporary dining service for 300+ meals per day throughout construction
- Seamlessly integrating new M/E/P and dining equipment into historic (1930) building fabric
- Goal of a highly energy-efficient kitchen that still meets commercial standards
The Dining Commons, an important but outdated building on the Phillips Academy campus, was in need of a full-scale renovation to modernize its food service capabilities and increase energy efficiency, while retaining its historic charm and character.
In addition to extensive exploratory work, pre-construction centered on the construction of a temporary dining facility within an existing hockey rink. The main renovation included the installation of all new systems, finishes and food service equipment; extensive cleaning and repair of the historic building façade; and a significant landscaping package to further beautify the building exterior. The entire scope of work was carefully managed around an occupied campus with several concurrent projects in progress, and the finished project received LEED Silver certification.