> President Ulysses S. Grant was present at the historic synagogue’s dedication in 1876
> It is the oldest purpose-built synagogue in the Washington region
> The synagogue building has been moved twice in its history, including in 1969 when it was in danger of demolition for the new Metro
The Lillian and Albert Small Capital Jewish Museum will combine on one site the oldest synagogue in Washington, DC and a new museum telling the story of how Jewish Washington shaped and has been shaped by both the United States and its capital city. The synagogue was moved to the new site on 3rd and F Streets NW from its former location at 3rd and G Streets and will now undergo an historic restoration. The building consists of a ground floor, first floor and ladies gallery.
The new four-story museum will include three public floors for exhibitions and programming spaces, and one floor for the collection archives and staff offices. Other features include program and event spaces, a community lab, a multi-story, light-filled lobby and an outdoor roof terrace.