- Preservation of historic timber framing and masonry
- Coordination with an on-site archaeologist, National Parks Service and the Massachusetts Historic Commission
- Project logistics will be coordinated around the needs of the busy STCC commuter campus
Building 19 was built in 1847 as a storehouse for supplies and tanks for the as part of the Springfield Armory. After being vacant for many years, the Massachusetts Division of Capitol Asset Management & Maintenance, along with Springfield Technical Community College (STCC), is now restoring the National Registered Landmark to consolidate a Learning Commons, Student Administrative Services, Library and social spaces under one roof.
The renovations and modern additions to the expansive two-story, 765 ft. long building will include integration of all new systems into the historic fabric, masonry restoration and replacement of over 2,000 historic windows. Coordination with multiple historic agencies and archaeologists will be required throughout the project. The project, targeting LEED Silver certification, will engage STCC students and staff in internships and hands-on learning opportunities.